I’ve just discovered YouTube, a fantastic site of searchable videos uploaded by the general public. This is something I could so get lost in!
A few early finds:
- The video for Omoni (Mother), by the Korean hip-hop group 1Tym. This was one of our favorite videos when we were in Korea.
- An astonishing video of a Korean breakdancer at a mall. When Beck talks about pop-lockin’ beats from Korea, he’s on to something.
- Glam videos like Roxy Music doing “Ladytron” in 1972 and T-Rex lip-synching “20th Century Boy” and “Children of the Revolution”.
- Early thrash videos, like Megadeth’s “Peace Sells,” which reminds me of what it felt like to be thirteen and angry (and which is the source for the bass riff that opened MTV News for many years).
- British soldiers testing LSD.
That should be enough to get you started.